Monday 2 December 2013

Day 15 + 16: Making a Mountain out of a Hill

Please forgive my lack of a post yesterday, I had to wake up early this morning to go look at some nature with some of my Japanese friends so I went to bed early. But I think going in chronological order will be better, people seem to prefer chronological order.

Saturday, my friend and I climbed that mountain that I talked about last weekend. As I said last weekend, if you climb it 30 times you can get immortalised with your name up on the wall of the restaurant, that is our goal. 2 down, 28 to go, with 30 weekends left until I leave Japan I will be climbing it most weekends. 
  
I think Mt. Fuji is in the background somewhere, maybe

I realised that I made a slight error last time I talked about this mountain. It was the result of lazy googling. I said that this mountain, Mt. Awagatake, is only 50m shorter than Ben Nveis, the tallest mountain in the UK. This was because I found a Mt. Awagatake which is 1293m tall, however the Mt. Awagatake that I will be climbing is actually only 532m. Just a tiny difference! Well, no, not just a tiny difference, actually in English (according to the UK's definition) my Mt. Awagatake is technically a hill

I've got some circling skills!!

Above is the book that you sign every time you reach the top. I will photograph every time, but i doubt you want to see a number increase by 1 every weekend, if you did I'm sure you would just write different numbers on your calendar.

Because of the running, strength training and boxercise on friday I felt that it was best to have saturday as my rest day. So the 5km hike counts as my rest exercise. 

Today-

As I said before, I had to wake up early, before 6am, so that we could go and look at some nature. There is a lot of nature in Japan, but the specific nature we were looking for was the changing of the leaves. Like this:

Ohhhh, look at the pretty colours

These are Japanese maples, I don't really know any more than that, but they are very pretty eh? It took us 2 hours to drive there and then there was a surprise monkey:

You may think he is jumping, but actually he is a flying monkey

To be honest I am not sure how I feel about this, on one hand there is a monkey who is being forced to perform, but on the other hand there was a bloody monkey!

It is still a welcome change to ramen

This was my lunch, not so healthy lunch but it was very delicious, and then I was told about an interesting local delicacy.

Decide now before reading the next paragraph, does this look delicious?

These are hornet larvae, they are in a miso sauce. I tried a few of them, they tasted and had the texture of boiled beans. They are also supposedly meant to give you energy, I was informed it will help with sexual energy too.... I didn't really know what to do with that information. 

I guess it worked (Not the sexual energy) because it happened again, I went for an evening run, and ended up running a 6k again, at a pace of 5mins 18 secs/km. So it would look like it is becoming a pattern. When i go running in the evening I seem to be able to run further/not look forward to the end. Let's see how I do tomorrow with my morning run. 



No comments:

Post a Comment