Monday 7 July 2014

Day 26: 30th times the charm

I think I should start with an apology, the last 2 days I haven't been what you would call on the ball with he whole blogging thing. That said I was on top of the whole leaving party thing so that pretty nice.

So firstly on Friday all those leaving the prefecture had a ceremony where we were thanked for participating in the JET programme, and then given certificates. After that the leavers went for a meal and drinks with other people on the JET programme. This is the first of 6 leaving parties that I have over the next 2 weeks. oh how tough my life is!

Now for a greater explanation than the 5 pictures I posted yesterday.

Firstly if you recall my friend Kelsey and I decided it would be a good idea to take on a challenge to climb a local mountain 30 times so that we could get our name on the wall of the café at the top of the mountain. If this blog has taught me anything it's that challenging to do something 30 times is not always a good idea.

We have done well and yesterday I had to climb the mountain solo the 27th and 28th times.

 
Welcome to the worst spot the difference ever, the photos I took at the top of each time. Hint: It's all in the eyes, you can see I lost the will to climb somewhere between the 2 photos

I'm not sure if you can tell, but if you can't you're blind, it was hot and i am sweaty, like really far to hot to be doing anything more strenuous than turning on the AC, but I had a challenge to do so my stubbornness won and I climbed the mountain.

As soon as I was done there I had to rush home and prep for a goodbye party (Number 2 for those who are counting) that I had decided to host. I have been here for 3 years and in that time many friends have come and gone. It is sadly the nature of the JET programme, everyone is coming on their own time lines and every year people leave and get replaced. However, my Japanese friends have been a constant, which has been incredibly reassuring, as well meaning I now have definite friends for life. I wanted to cook a meal for them and thank them for everything they have done for me.

I invited them and a few other JETs to mine for dinner. I then had the dilemma of what to cook for 16 people. to further complicate matters my kitchen is not built for cooking for more than a few people. I have 2 hobs and one tiny electric oven.

Photo of kitchen not included: This is either because its now unbelievably messy after the party or I'm lying and i have a glorious marble kitchen and I don't want to show you I'm lying. You decide which. 

What can an Englishman cook then for that many people in this situation? Only one real answer to that isn't there?

Can you guess what I made?

That's right, Bangers and Mash, really get the Japanese to understand how British food can look unbelievable unappetising but is surprisingly not too bad.

I also made some nice caramelised onion gravy to go with it and that's what this pic was all about:

Something something before and after joke
It all went down fairly well as you can see with the sheer level of excitement and party atmosphere going on in this picture:

I know what you're thinking, This looks crazy fun, all the smiles and banter.
You may also wonder where any of the Japanese people are, well they had already left before this photo was taken but honestly I think they and fun, and they seemed to like the bangers and mash. All in all a success, but bloody weird to think that its the last time I'll be hosting something like this in Japan.

Onto today, today was another last, but this one a little more joyous that the previous one.

It's not exactly my name up in lights but it will do for now
 Yep, that's exactly what it looks like, and if you can't tell what it looks like I'll tell you. That is Kelsey's and my name up on the wall of the café at the top of the mountain. We have officially climbed it 30 times and people throughout the ages who visit that café will think "What the hell did 2 gaijin climb this mountain 30 times for?"

And that's all you need to know about today cause I honestly believe that was quite the accomplishment, and we were lucky enough to get a photo with the 2 old ladies who run the café, they were always very sweet and encouraging.

No witty comment, nothing but respect for these awesome women






No comments:

Post a Comment