Saturday 26 October 2013

Day 12: Fear not I am alive

Contrary to popular belief I have not died of ramen overdose (ROD) (Actually, on second thoughts lets not call it that. Actually, I also don't believe there was any popular belief that I had died either). I simply had a very important exam to take if I wished to apply to American grad schools. I am afraid that means that I chose studying over blogging (I know, blogging sin No.1!).

But this does mean that you then get 2 for 1, a double post today because while I had a slight break in blogging I had no such break in my ramen eating! (Technically, all my blogging is free to you so you right now you get 14 for 1, but shhhhhhh)

Post exam I am rather happy, not to mention the beer I had at lunch, and this is what happening right now: (For me not you, I don't what you knowing what I'm up to right now!)

No, it wasn't exactly "now" you pedantic little......
 Enough of this, lets get on to what you are here for.

So as I said before, I went to osaka on Friday for this exam. I decided to take the shinkansen (Bullet train). Im a giant fan of the shinkansen, its smooth, easy, clean and relatively comfortable (It's still a train of course, one step above flying comfort-wise) but I am not a fan of the price! It's not cheap!

Now that is a Barbra Streisand nose!

There is also a typhoon coming so the weather was rather... unpleasant! Speaking of unpleasant, I got a sandwich for the trip, and I have to say I always felt that shop bought sandwiches were a joke in the UK but this really was taking the piss. I can tell you this isn't a one off, this happens every time I buy sandwiches in Japan!

Tuna with your bread sir?

Anyway, nothing exciting about the trip, I studied the whole way. I think I was muttering to myself, so YAY just making Gaijin (Foreigners) seem weirder, cause we have such a good reputation already! After the train I decided to find my little ramen shop and get my free/discounted ramen. Did I go to the same place for continuity, to compare the difference or cause I'm cheap? I guess we will never know. (But I can say I walked there in about 20 mins in pouring rain!)

Anyway, I got there and this was awaiting me:

Spot the difference. Clue: Its a colour!

So I got there wet and sweaty (Rain in japan just makes it all more humid). Ordered the thick ramen and the buta-kimchi (You should know it by now the pork and fermented spicy cabbage) There was more soup than the other shop but it was all equally delicious. I think i really appreciated the change of scenery as I was barely even registering that this was bowl 12 in as many days.

Wolfed it down, found my hostel and then studied till bed. Had to be up at 7:30 to get to my test. Oh and I found this little oddity on my way to the hostel!

Ever thought "I wish i could do with some batteries but there isn't a vending machine neat"?

No comments:

Post a Comment