Monday 28 October 2013

Day 15: "My Favourite Japanese Food is Fried Chicken"

After my rather busy weekend the idea of working all week wasn't something I was..... ecstatic about. Waking up at the same time as I have to normally wake up for work was rather unpleasant. However, fortunately for me, I was able to take some compensatory time off for the speech contest, so I went to school, taught a lesson, grabbed my お弁当(Obento- Lunch box) and went home for the rest of the day. Which started like this:

I wish I could say Zombies put me off my food, but there is very little that can do that

Thats right, lunch and The Walking Dead, that's what I call a good day. I had such grand plans for my day off, as I'm sure we all do for our time away from work. Here was my to list:


  • Write CV
  • E-mail References
  • Fill out grad school applications
  • Finish a work presentation
  • Clean my apartment
  • Laundry
And here is what I actually achieved:

  • Nap
  • Laundry
And lets be honest with ourselves, with washing machines doing laundry isn't exactly a taxing chore (Although I do have to return 30 mins after it starts to put in the fabric softener, somedays I'm even too lazy for that)

So after all that hard work i deserved a reward, surprise surprise I went to ramen.

These are starting to look like the worst spot the differences I have ever seen!
I ordered the ramen with extra meat, and without thinking about the meat percentage I ordered the 
唐揚げ (Karage- Generally means fried chicken, but technically it is the method of cooking). So, as I say, I ordered 6 pieces of fried chicken as a side dish to my bowl of extra meaty ramen. I'm not complaining though, but I do think maybe my body doesn't need that much meat in a single sitting. 

Karage is interesting because I recently had a student say it was their favourite Japanese food, which was both surprising, I mean there is so much more "typically Japanese" food, but also confused me, I had always thought that it was something that they had taken from America (I don't think anyone in the west would even think of it as Japanese food). However, with a brief google I found out that actually a bit like ramen and gyouza, it actually started in China.

Good, that salad will counteract the deep fried chicken!
After further googling (All wikipedia. Lets be honest if it's not on there its not worth your fact-checking time), I found out that I am rather ignorant when it comes to fried chicken (I know, I know it's embarrassing). Turns out its pretty global, with history all over Europe, Africa and Asia. So next time someone asks your favourite Japanese/Asian food say fried chicken just to mess with the person, or to stop the awful prevalence of friend chicken ignorance!

Ramen was fine, I'm seriously not finding it that hard, it has just become part of my daily routine. 

Tune in tomorrow to find out what this picture has to do with ramen:

So now my blog really does include everything! (I am so happy with this caption)

No comments:

Post a Comment