Sunday 20 October 2013

DAY 7: Secret sauce

I am sure you have been on the edge of your seat for the past 2 days, waiting to find out about the red sauce. Well, your hard wait is finally over. I'll get it out of the way now so I don't forget again!

The name of the sauce is very creative it's 餃子のたれ. 餃子 means gyouza, the little dumplings I like. の is the possessive and たれ means sauce. So basically it just means gyouza sauce. As I said, very creative.

It's soy sauce, vinegar and chilli oil. That's it. Sounds simple, but the simple things in life often turn out to be the best. Some ramen shops, have this already made for you, however a lot of people like to make their own. I like a 50/50 split of soy sauce and vinegar.and just a little chilli oil, but then I am a big fan of drowning my fish and chips in vinegar so you may have different tastes.

This is my version of the little IKEA how to pictures

I am actually such a big fan of this sauce that I make it for things that aren't even gyouza! I know, what blasphemy! But it is delicious.

Today marks a whole week since my ramen adventure began. So far so good. However, it is starting to get a wee bit repetitive. I still have 24 days to go so I will have to keep my head up. (Oh the struggles of having more than adequate amounts of food in my life and forcing myself to eat only one type for a month.)

I was joined today by one of my fellow English teachers who lives in the same apartment block, Kelsey. She is new this year and, of course, I rather quickly introduced her to ramen. She is now a big fan. I can't foresee her eating the full 80 and then doing the ramen adventure in her 1 year here, but she will be supporting me on my own one.

There is now very little way for you to not believe that I am eating ramen!

This also means that I have someone who can take a picture of me actually eating ramen. I have already showed all the nay-sayers before and after pictures of my ramen, but there was no proof that
I was the one eating the ramen. No more!

Today I went for my standard chashuu-men, the one with the extra meat. I decided to also get the cheese gyouza. Thats right, the delicious meat filled dumplings, that are already incredibly delicious, can be purchased with cheese on top.

Doesn't that just look so appealing/ like someone threw-up on it

Nothing bad about that eh? And I am not complaining, but Japanese cheese is a little lacking in the taste department, so it generally just adds to the texture rather than giving it the usual flavour boost that cheese does. However, I stand by my belief that you can improve any food* by adding cheese to it.

One week down, 3 (and a bit) to go, but unfortunately I can already see me getting very sick of it.

*The type of cheese varies, and this doesn't apply to Japanese cheese.





1 comment:

  1. Have they always head cheesy gyoza? So glad to have proof of you eating the ramen

    ReplyDelete