Tuesday 15 October 2013

Day 2: Ramen-Loading for the Typhoon.

Typhoon! It's typhoon season and that means typhoons come and today one came. I am informed by Wikipedia that a typhoon, hurricane and cyclone is all the same thing, but it is nothing to worry about as tomorrow the students don't have to come to school, it's too dangerous, but the teachers do......I'll just let you think about that one.

So my plan was three fold; Eat ramen, go to my English class, Hold up in my home till school. This was essentially the exact same as most tuesday nights for me, but this time with a typhoon outside.

Every Tuesday I teach an evening class English, so my usual habit was to eat out before it because I finish school on Tuesdays at 17:00 and my evening class is at 19:30. So one benefit this month of ramen has brought me is I now don't have to decide where to eat, in fact for the next 4 weeks I don't.

Shall I go here?.... or here??? Oh, decisions decisions. I'll go here!

I also came to a realisation, I order the teachers lunches at school everyday Monday-Thursday. Fridays I treat myself to udon, another soup and noodle based dish but this time thick noodles and a healthy broth. (Japan really likes noodles, and as you can tell, so do I!) Anyway, I digress, so this means Monday-Thursday my lunch is mostly the same, teachers obento (お弁当) the Japanese word for lunch box, and for dinner I have ramen at the ramen shop.

I'm not complaining, but they do get repetitive. Gotta love the colours though!!!
This means added to my usual coffee for breakfast my daily food variety, Monday-Thurday, consists of; when I drink my coffee, what fried thing will be in lunch and which of the 8 "varieties" of ramen I will be eating that day. I may have rushed into this whole month of ramen thing.

A pictorial representation of my daily food variety, gotta love the colours though!
Speaking of ramen, I had my second bowl today, I chose the extra meat today. In all honesty it's my favourite (Extra meat!!!). I got it most of the times I went on my way to the 80 bowls I needed for this adventure to begin. Thats right, adventure, for some people its pushing their mind and body to climb Mount Everest, or to the bottom of the ocean. Mine is 31 bowls of noodles in soup! Anyway, I was told that people may like to see before and after pictures, in case you thought I was just ordering and not eating the ramen. For all you neigh-sayers out there, read it and weep:

Which is before? Which is after? I'm not going to tell you. 
So, to those keen of eye, you will notice that the plate to the right is not gyouza, it is in fact buta-kimchi. Buta (豚) means pork and kimchi is a Korean spicy fermented cabbage (It tastes infinitely better than it sounds). They fry the pork with the kimchi and it becomes unbelievably flavoursome and tender. This is my second favourite side dish here!

So thats day 2, off to bed and if you don't hear from me tomorrow I was blown away by the typhoon and that means the next time you hear from me my blog posts will be significantly more interesting than just telling you about what food I am currently eating. If you miss me, you can just check out this guy, its basically the same, but more brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment