Sunday 3 November 2013

Day 20: The Early Bird Catches the Worm-like Food

Nothing too special today, however I did have plans so I decided to head to the ramen shop early so that i can get it out of the way to free up the rest of my afternoon/evening. The shop opens at 11, like most restaurants in Japan. Unless you are looking for fast food you will find that there is no such thing as eating out for breakfast in the majority of Japan. This is particularly hard when all I want for my hangover is a fried breakfast!

In fact I turned up so early they had a sign that was saying they they weren't open yet as seen in the picture below. In order to not look sad and like I was waiting for them to open (like I totally was) I decided to go into the ¥100 shop next to the ramen shop. Cause somehow it is less sad to look like you are shopping when you have no intention of buying anything than it is to sit outside a ramen shop waiting for them to open.

Yes, that sign had as all that writing just to say they aren't open

The shop opens at 11, I got to the front of the shop at 11:02 (after fake shopping) fearing that they would think I was strange for going for ramen the second they opened. There were already 4 people in the shop! Initially I was happy, it meant I wasn't crazy, but then I was upset I wasn't special in my love of ramen. Maybe if the shop opened at 7am....

I got just the standard thick kotteri-ramen and gyouza. I struggled to finish the bowl though. I dunno if it was because I wasn't massively hungry or if it was simply that my body has had 19 bowls already and is thinking to itself "I dunno if we really need another"


I look forward to a day i can post an entire day's food and not have a picture like this!

After this I headed home and preceded to do nothing with my day. Productive! I did however watch 2 movies I had heard were really bad just to check what I thought. (As I say, productive) I watched After Earth, that Will Smith and his son's movie. yup awful! I also watched The Last Airbender, also awful! (I can now see why critics and the internet said these were terrible movies) While watching these I cooked and ate my dinner, camel burgers.

The temptation to keep stacking, I mean you saw my drying rack jenga
Camel burgers are delicious, pretty similar to beef, I definitely recommend them. The keen eyed among you may notice that the bun is not a burger bun, in fact it is a muffin. For my non-british followers that is an English muffin, yes we really do just call them muffins (They did come first, sometimes we call sweet muffins American muffins. Oh the madness). They aren't perfect for the burgers but they do the job seeing as my store had no rolls. In fact they did the job twice. I will need to scoff down 2 more before the weekend is over as they come in packs of 4. Oh my life is so hard having to eat delicious food because of an arbitrary challenge I have set myself.

Unlike McDonalds the actual burgers I ate did look like the pictures. 
Anyway, only 11 days, 11 bowls and 2 camel burgers left!

No comments:

Post a Comment