Friday 22 November 2013

Day 6: Balls! Rice balls!

You will be happy to know my attempt to ensure I didn't lose my inhaler worked! Got up, was a big baby about going out in the cold and then when I hit 2km I warmed up and got over it. A fairly medeocre run all in all.

I don't know if it is just the run or if getting up 30 mins earlier but I am much better at getting ready on days that I run even though I get back from my run the same time I wake up. So despite the hating of the actual run, it makes my mornings less stressful (Once I'm over the initial stress of waking up knowing I have to get out into the cold).

I get back from my run, jump in the shower, iron my shirt, pour my cereal into a bowl, go to get my milk out of the fridge and guess what is missing? My fridge, it was just gone....nah, I had no milk. So instead I had to buy my breakfast from the convenience store. I'll use this opportunity to introduce one of the things I love about Japan but am also very confused by; おにぎり, onigiri (Rice ball)

Japan has some fun food shapes eh?

The one on the left is an おにぎり, the thing on the right is 手巻寿司 (te-maki-zushi) or hand rolled sushi. Onigiri are "Balls" (Usually triangles), of plain white rice, with some kind of flavour in the middle, above is tuna mayo, but there is also salmon, fish eggs, pickled plum, seaweed and more. The hand rolled sushi is exactly the same but with the flavour is all the way along the middle, not just a blob in the middle, like in my incredibly detailed diagram:


I am currently taking any commissions for diagraming

And now we come to the point of confusion for me. Which of the above distributions would you prefer (The flavour is the shaded area)? Equal amounts of flavour to rice with every bite, or 3 bites of nothing but white rice and one with all the flavour? And can you guess which of these is more popular in Japan? Thats right, The one with flavourless mouthfuls of plain white rice. Sometimes if you are lucky you get something like this:

See, I have real range with my diagramming

Yeah, thats おにぎり gold.

Anyway, I really think these need to be all around the world (The evenly distributed flavour ones), they are a brilliant snack/ replacement for sandwiches. Generally onigiri have lower calories, have less unhealthy crap as the filling and, I think, are more filling. Also, I don't want to get into Japanese sandwiches again (I explained before the fact that they are awfully filled, in fact they are filled very much like the above diagrams), onigiri are much better. However, I can not wait to get a brown bread BLT when I return home.

Thought that maybe my diagrams were not enough to give you a proper understanding of the filling

Off to bed now, gunna place my inhaler on the "Don't lose me" spot again, then run in the morning, teach a day at school and then work out. After all that I get the pleasure of preparing a turkey for Saturday's thanksgiving party, I will have to resist the urge to cook and eat the whole 7kg turkey all to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment